Using vmware and snapshots? You probably know about vmware best practices about snapshots, which includes
- The maximum supported amount of snapshots in a chain is 32. However, VMware recommends that you use only 2-3 snapshots in a chain.
- Use no single snapshot for more than 24-72 hours. Snapshots should not be maintained over long periods of time for application or Virtual Machine version control purposes.
- An excessive number of delta files in a chain (caused by an excessive number of snapshots) or large delta files may cause decreased virtual machine and host performance.
- Be especially diligent with snapshot use on high-transaction virtual machines such as email and database servers
But what is real performance inpact of snapshot?
I have been searching for simple and easy script to backup selected virtual machines running on esxi server, which will:
- run on linux – do not require windows machine; can’t use PowerCLI
- do not require direct access to esxi host using ssh (as other backups scripts like ghettoVCB.sh do) and will use API
- support multiple esxi hosts managed by vcenter
- have clear code – that means no perl hell (including big vsphere perl sdk)
- have short code
- can be put into cron